Homemade Oreos

I have been reading food blogs for ages and I always enjoyed reading the blog challenge round ups to see how different people interpret the various themes,  When I decided to write this blog I was looking forward to entering some challenges myself, and this recipe I've been wanting to try for a while meets the criteria for two.


My daughter is a big fan of Oreos so I was keen to try a homemade version and see how they matched up. The biscuits were tasty, however I wouldn't say they had the very distinctive taste of Oreos.  Apparently black cocoa is key to this taste, I plan on trying it out soon!  This is the first time I have ever used vegetable fat in my buttercream, I deliberated over including it but felt it was necessary to keep the filling firm and stop it squidging out of the sides of the biscuits when they're bitten into .

I am entering my homemade Oreos into: 

    

We Should Cocoa was created by Choclette at Chocolate Log Blog, I think this will be a popular challenge for me - a great excuse for more chocolate in my life (not sure how well it will fit in with #2, #7 and #15 on The List mind!).  This month's challenge is hosted by Rebecca at BakeNQuilt who has chosen the theme of Cookies in honour of her favourite holiday treats.

AlphaBakes was created by Ros from The more than occasional baker and Caroline from Caroline Makes; Caroline is hosting this month's challenge.  The random letter generator came up with O this month.

Homemade Oreos   

I'm not sure where this recipe is from, I just have a list of ingredients written down, on searching the internet I found quite a few similar recipes but if anyone knows the original source please contact me so I can acknowledge them.

170g plain flour
45g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
250g sugar
150g salted butter
1 large egg

Using an electric mixer beat all of the ingredients together until it forms a dough.

Then roll the dough into into 2 logs approx 5cms in diameter, wrap them in cling film and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Preheat the oven to 170oc (for electric fan, or whatever is equivalent for your oven) and slice the cookie dough logs into 0.75cm thick rounds, space out on a lightly greased baking tray - they will spread a little and bake for approximately 10 minutes until edges are starting to feel firm. Transfer to wire rack to cool, they will crisp up as they cool.

For the filling
50g salted butter
50g vegetable shortening
200g icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk fats until soft then add icing sugar and vanilla.  Pipe into the centre of the bottom biscuit and flatten with the top biscuit.

Enjoy, with milk of course!

I'm wasn't stingy with the filling but I had quite a bit leftover, I think this recipe could be scaled down by a third.  I ended up with about 20 homemade ores.



3 comments:

  • Caroline | 18 November 2013 at 13:19

    I love Oreos, I never thought to try making my own though! Do you know where you can get hold of black cocoa? I've never heard of it. These look great, anyway! Welcome to Alphabakes and thanks for taking part!

  • Rach | 20 November 2013 at 16:18

    Hi Caroline, thanks for your comment! I haven't had much success in finding a UK supplier for black cocoa yet, so far they're all in the States, I will let you know if I manage though!

  • Choclette | 28 November 2013 at 20:43

    These look great. I try not to eat Oreos as I find them addictive. They have been on my "to bake" list for quite some time though. I've not heard of black cocoa, so look forward to hearing more from you if you ever manage to track it down. Thanks for entering them into We Should Cocoa.

Post a Comment